Frequently Asked Questions

Below is a list of some of the most Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) we receive. If the question you have is not answered here, please get in touch by clicking on Contact Us.

Search our faqs
Reset filters

NEBOSH does have an Enquiry About Results policy (EAR). This allows learners who are unhappy with the mark achieved to request for their assessment to be remarked. There are two types available:

Enquiry Type 1: clerical check

This is a clerical check to ensure all parts of the script(s)/practical assessment/assignment/project have been marked and that marks have been totalled correctly.  

Enquiry Type 2: re-mark

This is a re-mark of the script by a different examiner, who is a higher level than the original examiner. This type of enquiry does not include a clerical check.

All EAR requests should be made directly to NEBOSH within one month of the results issue date. Full payment must be made before the EAR request can be processed.

If as a result of the EAR, a learner has their unit result changed from a refer to a pass or has their qualification grade revised upwards, the revised result will be issued and the EAR fee and any relevant re-registration fee already paid (where the learner hasn't already sat the examination), will be reimbursed in full. 

If the outcome requires the reissue of a Unit Certificate and/or Parchment, this will be done free of charge. 

Please see our Enquiries About Results Policy and Procedures for more information.

EAR costs can be found on our most recent Learner Fees List.

Related questions

I would like to see my marked examination script because the result does not match my expectations

How do I book a resit?

How can I gain feedback on my performance to assist with future improvement

NEBOSH sends Award and Certificate Level certificates and parchments by recorded delivery in the UK and by trackable delivery to overseas locations in board-back envelopes to ensure they are received by the Learning Partner and to avoid damage. 

Please note, unit certificates are no longer issued for Certificate level qualifications, learners will receive one parchment on completion of the full qualification. 

NEBOSH send Diploma Level certificates and parchments directly to learners whose postal address is in the UK via Royal Mail and for learners whose addresses are outside of the UK directly to their learning partner.

NEBOSH recommends that Learning Partners send original and replacement certificates to learners via a trackable delivery service.

Original certificates are normally sent out within 20 working days of the date on the relevant Unit Result Notification letter. Please wait until this timescale has elapsed before contacting your Learning Partner or NEBOSH.

However, if Learners/Learning Partners fail to inform NEBOSH within 40 working days of the URN letter issue date that they have not received their certificate/parchments they will be charged for replacing a certificate claimed not to have been received.

NEBOSH will not accept any liability for certificates lost in transit between Learning Partners and Learners or once they have been received by learners. In such cases requests for replacements certificates will not be processed without payment being received in full with a completed request form. 

Where damaged or incorrect certificates are returned to NEBOSH for replacement it is recommended that learners and learning partners return them via a trackable delivery service. NEBOSH will not accept any liability for original certificates returned to NEBOSH by Learning Partners or learners that are lost in transit.

For more information see our Policy regarding candidate certificates including corrections and reissues.

NEBOSH takes all reports of suspected malpractice extremely seriously and will always conduct a thorough investigation in line with our Malpractice Policy 

If a learner suspects a fellow learner of cheating during the assessment, and it was not reported to the invigilator or course tutor, they should report the incident in writing immediately to their Learning Partner (e.g. the course tutor) and provide NEBOSH with a copy of their written account.

Learning Partners are required to report to NEBOSH without delay any instances of suspected malpractice that they are made aware of.

Please note that the outcome of the investigation and any sanctions imposed will not be disclosed to the individual making the complaint because of NEBOSH's responsibilities under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).

Information on recent malpractice cases and the action taken by NEBOSH are published in our quarterly Ethical Practice Report

If you believe that the conduct of your course by the Learning Partner was not satisfactory (e.g. quality of tuition, quality of learning support, access to learning resources, administrative arrangements or venue), in the first instance you are recommended to contact your Learning Partner and proceed through their complaint procedure. 

If you are not able to resolve the problem, please see our complaints procedure.

NEBOSH does not provide access to scripts after the examination. During the marking of assessments, NEBOSH examiners do not add feedback or comments to the examination script. In addition, NEBOSH does not release the current mark scheme as the questions can still form part of future examinations.

NEBOSH has published a number of documents to assist learners in their revision:

  • Individual Learner Feedback – NEBOSH provide individual learner feedback for the following units:
    • NG2/IG2/FSC2 – your feedback is sent to you via email following declaration of your result.  If you have not received this feedback please contact your Learning Partner directly to request a copy to be resent to you.
    • DNI, NDEM2, IDEM2 – feedback is sent by NEBOSH via the email that you registered with, following declaration of your result. If you have not received your feedback by the official result notification date please contact NEBOSH via our contact us form.
  • Syllabus Guides – Learners can prepare themselves for an examination by ensuring they have full knowledge of the syllabus. Learners can do this my mapping their course materials to the learning outcomes of the syllabus. Full syllabus guides are available to view and download on the Resources section of the relevant qualification web page. Visit the Qualifications page.
  • Examiners Reports and Learner Feedback – Examiners' reports are designed to provide feedback on an assessment and can be used as a revision tool by learners and Learning Partners. NEBOSH has completed a full review of all its qualifications, assessments and associated resources including Examiners' reports. Find out more and download the latest reports: NEBOSH Examiners' Reports and Learner Feedback.
  • Digital assessments – we have produced Learner Guides and sample question papers for Certificate-level digital assessments.
  • Digital assignment submissions  DNI, NDEM2 and IDEM2 assignments must now be submitted digitally. More information can be found here: Digital assignments for Diploma qualifications.
  • Practical assessment – Practical guidance documents for our Award and Certificate-level qualifications are available for all relevant units. These documents can be found in the Qualification section, under the relevant qualification in the resources section.
  • Command words – It is important that learners have a full understanding of these words to make sure that when answering questions they answer to the level of detail required, ensuring that the relevant amount of time is spent on each section. View Guidance on command words. Command words are used in our written paper based assessment for the following units:
    • Certificate qualifications - GC2, EC1, FC1, IFC1, IOG1 NCC1, ICC1 and NHC1. 
    • Diploma qualifications – A,B,C, IA, IB, IC and ED1.

Each qualification page has a resources section with useful documents, links and guidance. Visit the Qualifications page to find guidance for your chosen qualification.

NEBOSH does have an Enquiry About Results policy. This allows learners who are unhappy with the mark achieved to request for their assessment to be remarked. Please see our Enquiries About Results Policy and Procedures for more information.

Related questions

I have been referred but believe my mark does not reflect my performance in the assessment - can I have my paper re-marked?

How can I gain feedback on my performance to assist with future improvement

If you wish to better the mark achieved on any NEBOSH assessment, you must advise NEBOSH in writing that you wish to do so within one calendar month of the achievement of your final unit. Your final parchment is issued after this date and then the original mark will stand. If the qualification is not yet completed, then the highest unit mark can be used.

If you do advise NEBOSH that you wish to better your mark, please be aware that your final parchment will not be issued until NEBOSH are advised that you are happy with the mark achieved.

The original certificate(s) must be returned to NEBOSH along with a completed replacement certificate request form with the correct payment before the request will be processed.

If the damaged certificate is disposed of before it can be returned to NEBOSH it will be considered destroyed and – see 'My certificate has been lost, can I get a replacement?'.

All Learners or Learning Partners requesting a replacement certificate should read the Policy regarding learners certificates including corrections and reissues.

Related questions

What is the cost of a replacement certificate?

My certificate has been lost or stolen, can I get a replacement?

How do I make a request for a replacement or amended unit Certificate or Qualification Parchment?

The regulatory authorities require that where the original certificate has been lost, stolen or not received the replacement is marked ‘reissue’ and printed with the reissue date. However, the certificate reference number will remain the same as the original.

Once a certificate or parchment has been re-issued the original will no longer be valid. If a lost or stolen original is later presented to NEBOSH for authentication it will be identified as invalid.

Repeated requests for re-issues from the same Learner and/or Learning Partner will be investigated before they are accepted. If evidence of fraudulent and/or negligent activity is found, the incident will be treated by NEBOSH as malpractice and where appropriate, reported to the appropriate authorities.

Please refer to our Policy regarding candidate certificates including corrections and reissues for further information.

Related questions

What is the cost of a replacement certificate?

My certificate has been damaged, can I get a replacement?

How do I make a request for a replacement or amended unit Certificate or Qualification Parchment?

To minimise the risk of fraudulent duplication of Certificates and Parchments they are printed on security paper that includes watermarks and a hologram. Certificates and Parchments are individually numbered. NEBOSH maintains records of all Certificate and Parchments issued and reissued. Once a replacement has been issued, the original Certificate will no longer be valid.

If a lost or stolen original is later presented to NEBOSH for authentication it will be identified as invalid.

For more information see our Policy regarding candidate certificates including corrections and reissues

Related Questions

My Certificate has been lost or stolen, can I get a replacement?

What is the cost of a replacement certificate?

How do I make a request for a replacement or amended unit Certificate or Qualification Parchment?

Each learning partner must apply individually to ELCAS for approval. The decision to apply is at the Learning Partner’s discretion. For further information, please contact the relevant Learning Partner or ELCAS.