Frequently Asked Questions

Below is a list of some of the most Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) we receive. If the question you have is not answered here, please get in touch by clicking on Contact Us.

Search our faqs
Reset filters

NEBOSH needs to be satisfied that the Learning Partner has a teaching team comprising people with adequate qualifications and experience in the technical areas covered by the relevant syllabus. Although there is an expectation that tutors will hold a qualification at a level above that which is being taught, tutors who hold a qualification equal to the one that they will tutor on and are able to demonstrate suitable competence or have specialist subject expertise would be approved as part of a teaching team.

A tutorial team will comprise a course leader/lead tutor who is likely to be a Member of an appropriate professional body such as the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (CFIOSH, CMIOSH, Grad IOSH or equivalent), Institution of Fire Engineers (FIFireE, MIFireE, AIFireE) or other relevant body.

In accrediting programmes, NEBOSH considers the balance of expertise within tutorial teams; accreditation does not imply that any tutor is individually approved or accredited by NEBOSH.

You may wish to resit your Certificate level qualification at a standard examination sitting (March, June, September and December). However, many of our Learning Partners also offer on demand examinations, set and marked by NEBOSH but held on a date chosen by the Learning Partners, who would be happy to accept external resit learners.

If you would like to search for an examination on a date and at a location suitable to you, please visit the Where to study area of our website and select 'Find an Examination'. Alternative you can contact our Customer Services Team on +44  (0) 116 2634700 or

Related Questions

Are there examinations other than the stated examination dates?

Unit Certificates and Qualification Parchments are normally issued within 20 working days of the result declaration date stated on the Result Notification letter.

Related questions

I haven't received my Unit Certificate/Qualification Parchment?

The timings for receiving your assessment results does depend on the qualification you are studying.

Award Level qualifications

Results for Award Level qualifications are issued within 22 working days for examination taken in English and 32 working days for non English Assessments from the assessment date

Certificate Level qualifications

Results for Certificate Level qualifications are issued within 40 working days for assessments taken in English and 50 working days for non English Assessments from the assessment date.

Diploma Level qualifications

Results for Diploma Level qualifications are issued within 50 working days from the assessment date.

All results are emailed to learners directly as soon as they are available.



Each Learning Partner sets their own course timetables, and in the case of certificate level qualification can choose their own examination date. Please see each Learning Partner's entry on our website or contact them directly for further details.

For more information on Learning Partners visit the Where to Study section of the website.

Related questions

How do I choose a Learning Partner?

What modes of study are available?

How much does it cost to study?     

Different Learning Partners charge different amounts - why?

For a broad comparison of qualification levels in England, Wales and Northern Ireland with those in Scotland and Ireland please see the “Qualifications can cross boundaries” leaflet.

Related questions

How should the "Qualifications can cross Boundaries" leaflet be used for comparing levels and qualifications?

All Learning Partners must meet the minimum requirements in order to achieve and maintain accreditation with us.

We cannot make a recommendation to you and nor do we disclose examination pass rates for individual Learning Partners.

Learning Partners differ in their teaching formats, the amount of support they provide, venue type and location and hence cost. We recommend that you contact a number of partners to discuss their services so you can make a choice of which best suits you.

Details of our learning partners are available by looking at the Where to Study section of the website.

Related questions

How do I choose a Learning Partner?

What modes of study are available?

Where and when can I study?

How much does it cost to study?     

Different Learning Partners charge different amounts - why?

In the UK:

  • IOSH the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health
  • APS the Association for Project Safety
  • IFPO the Institute of Fire Prevention Officers
  • IIRSM the International Institute of Risk and Safety Management   
  • IEMA

For details of qualifications accepted by each professional body see the FAQ "How do I acquire professional status with a membership body?".

As a starting point, we would suggest the NEBOSH Award in Health and Safety at Work. It sits in the Scottish Credit and Qualifications Framework (SCQF) at SCQF Level 5 with 3 SCQF credit points. SCQF Level 5 is comparable to NQF/QCF Level 2 in England, Wales and Northern Ireland or GCSE level.

This 3-day course covers the basic health and safety principles and practices essential in the workplace. These include:  

  • Understanding risk assessments and control strategies;
  • Applying these control strategies to a number of common workplace hazards, including fire, electrical, transport and manual handling.  

Further information can be found here. 

Once this has been achieved post-16 learners may consider progressing to our Certificate-level qualifications such as the National General Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety. Further information can be found here.

NEBOSH qualifications are primarily intended for adult (post-19) learners operating in the workplace and have not been designed to meet national technical, funding and other criteria for vocational qualifications that can be offered to 14-19 learners in UK schools.

For further information on the restrictions on qualifications that can be offered in schools in the UK, please consult other FAQs in this section regarding learners aged 14-19.

NB: It is the responsibility of maintained schools and academies to check the suitability and eligibility of qualifications offered on school premises or during school time or school-funded activities with the relevant local authority and/or national education department (England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland).

No liability is accepted by NEBOSH for information provided by external websites or for any decisions made on the basis of information given here.

Established in 1995, the Association for Project Safety (APS) is a multi-disciplinary membership body for professionals who operate in, or have an interest in, Health and Safety Risk Management in the Construction Industry. Amongst APS members are the country’s leading surveying, health and safety, architectural, project management and engineering professionals. Many of the country’s leading practices are also APS Corporate Members. Together the membership of the Association is committed to shaping and sharing best practice in construction health and safety risk management.

Further information can be found at

Related questions

Who are CIWEM?

Who are IOSH?

Who are IIRSM?

Who are IFPO?

Who are IEMA?