Frequently Asked Questions
Below is a list of some of the most Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) we receive. If the question you have is not answered here, please get in touch by clicking on Contact Us.
The Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH) is the chartered professional membership body for health and safety professionals.
IOSH was founded in 1945 and is an independent, not-for-profit organisation that sets professional standards, supports and develops members and provides authoritative advice and guidance on health and safety issues.
Further information can be found on the IOSH website.
NEBOSH qualifications can support you in your application for IOSH membership. The membership category you are eligible for will depend on your experience and qualifications. For current guidance on membership categories and entry requirements please visit the IOSH website. Where applicable, this information will also be listed on the "Professional recognition" section of the individual qualification page: view all NEBOSH qualifications.
Unit Certificates and Qualification Parchments are awarded by NEBOSH to the person named on the certificate to denote their successful completion of the assessment and not to the organisation or individual(s) that funded the learners course of study.
Certificates also contain personal details protected by the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and are therefore the property of the learner.
For Award level and Certificate level qualifications; learners will receive one parchment on completion of the full qualification. These are sent to the Learning Partner for distribution to learners.
For Diploma learners based outside of the UK; Unit Certificates and Qualification Parchments are sent to the Learning Partner for distribution to learners
For Diploma learners based in the UK; Unit Certificates and Qualification Parchments are sent directly to the learner’s address.
In designing qualifications we are bound by statutory regulation.
This means that we have to specify to the regulatory authorities in our application to accredit a qualification with them, the time period over which units can be linked together to form qualifications.
The regulatory authorities do not set hard and fast rules regarding the time period in which a unit can be combined with other units and count towards a qualification; however, NEBOSH has to demonstrate to them that the time period is valid. In the case of health and safety law, which does change over time, 5 years was accepted by the Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA).
Once an examination has been completed, scripts are sent back to NEBOSH and undergo rigorous standardisation, marking, checking and results determination processes to ensure accuracy and consistency.
Your Results Notification letter(s) will be emailed to you as soon as they are available to you.
The syllabuses of other safety qualifications may not be identical in content or level to the NEBOSH qualification.
We have no input into qualifications awarded by other bodies. It is, therefore, not appropriate for NEBOSH to accept other qualifications.
Unit NGC1/IGC1 (of the National/International General Certificate qualifications) and Unit A/IA (of the National/International Diploma qualifications) are separate qualifications assessed at different levels and, therefore, the mark for these units or whole qualification exemption is capped at 45%.
Holders of the National/International Diploma wishing to seek a higher overall mark have the option of taking the Unit NGC1 examination. These learners may choose to register with a Learning Partner for the examination without undertaking the course programme.
Please note this does not apply to the July 2020 specifications of the National and International Diplomas for Occupational Health and Safety Management Professionals.
The latest qualifications have been designed to cover what a learner needs to know, so we are moving away from exemptions (common units). So general health and safety content is covered in the National or International General Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety. Whereas the specialist qualifications (such as Construction and Fire Certificates) contain content that is relevant to the discipline.
However, learners can continue to register to the 2014 specification of the National and International Certificate in Construction Health and Safety until 31 December 2021*. Learners must be registered to the new specification after this date.
Learners can also continue to register to the 2014 specifications of the National and International Certificate in Fire Safety and Risk Management until 31 December 2021*. Learners must be registered to the new specification after this date.
*This date is subject to change following SQA accreditation of the new/revised specifications.
If you have any further question you can contact our Customer Enquiry Team; Contact us.
The Patent Office has stated, “Anything done for the purpose of setting or answering an examination does not constitute intellectual property”. Therefore, a learner does not generate intellectual property when completing an examination script.
Individual Learner Feedback
NEBOSH provide individual learner feedback for the following unit assessments:
- NG2/IG2/FSC2/EMC2 (and legacy qualification unit assessments NFC2/IFC2/NCC2/ICC2/NGC2/ICC2) – your feedback is sent to you via email following declaration of your result. If you have not received this feedback please contact your Learning Partner directly to request a copy to be resent to you.
- DNI/NDEM2/IDEM2 – feedback is sent by NEBOSH via the email that you registered with, following declaration of your result. If you have not received your feedback by the official result notification date please contact NEBOSH via our contact us form.
Your Learning Partner will provide individual learner feedback for the following unit assessments:
- INV1/RAW1/WEL1/HSL1/MHR1 - Your course tutor will mark your assessments and provide you with feedback by completing the last column on each form. If you have not received this feedback please contact your Learning Partner directly to request a copy to be resent to you.
NEBOSH does not currently provide feedback for the following unit assessments:
- FSC1/ NFC1/IFC1
- ND1/ID1 Part1, ND1/ID1 Parts 2-4, ND2/ID2, ND3/ID3
We do however have a number of different revision tools to assist learners in making sure they are fully prepared for their assessment.
- Syllabus Guides – Learners can prepare themselves for an assessment by ensuring they have full knowledge of the syllabus. Learners can do this by mapping their course materials to the learning outcomes of the syllabus. Full syllabus guides are available to view and download on the Resources section of the relevant qualification web page. Visit the Qualifications page.
- Examiners' Reports and Learner Feedback – Examiners' reports are designed to provide feedback on an assessment and can be used as a revision tool by learners and Learning Partners. NEBOSH has completed a full review of all its qualifications, assessments and associated resources including Examiners' reports. Find out more and download the latest reports: NEBOSH Examiners' Reports and Learner Feedback.
- Digital assessments – we have produced Learner Guides and sample question papers for Certificate and Diploma-level digital assessments.
- Digital assignment submissions – DNI, NDEM2 and IDEM2 assignments must now be submitted digitally. More information can be found here: Digital assignments for Diploma qualifications.
- Practical assessment – Practical guidance documents for our Award and Certificate-level qualifications are available for all relevant units. These documents can be found in the Qualification section under the relevant qualification in the resources section.
- Command words – Command words are now only used in our written paper-based assessment for the following units:
- Certificate qualifications – GC2, EC1, FC1, IFC1, IOG1 NCC1, ICC1 and NHC1.
- Diploma qualifications – A,B,C, IA, IB, IC and ID1.
- Course books – course books are available to purchase for some of our qualifications to help support learners with their studies. These can be purchased from the NEBOSH shop online.
Each qualification page has a resources section with useful documents, links and guidance. Visit the Qualifications page to find guidance for your chosen qualification.