Frequently Asked Questions
Below is a list of some of the most Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) we receive. If the question you have is not answered here, please get in touch by clicking on Contact Us.
The only limit on the use of an exemption is the two or five-year qualifying criterion (Depending on the qualification); the declaration date for the unit being used as an exemption must still be within two or five years of the examination date for the final successful unit of the newest qualification.
However, if the two or five years have passed you will no longer be able to use the exemption.
The Patent Office has stated, “Anything done for the purpose of setting or answering an examination does not constitute intellectual property”. Therefore, a learner does not generate intellectual property when completing an examination script.
NEBOSH does not currently provide feedback on your assessment performance. We do however have a number of different revision tools to assist learners in making sure they are fully prepared for their assessment.
- Guidance on Command words - It is important that learners have a full understanding of command words to make sure that when answering questions they answer to the level of detail required, ensuring that the relevant amount of time is spent on each section
- Syllabus Guides - Learners can adequately prepare themselves for an examination by ensuring they have full knowledge of the syllabus. Learners can do this by mapping their course materials to the learning outcomes of the syllabus.
- Examiners Reports’ are been produced for both Learners and Learning Partners to encourage learners to concentrate on key areas; examination technique, command words and learning outcomes and is designed to assist learners and learning partners prepare for future assessments.
- Preparing learners for assessment guide - This guide is designed to assist in your preparation for NEBOSH Certificate and Diploma written assessments. The aim is to improve assessment performance and also to give learners a helpful boost in confidence ahead of their examination sittings
These documents can be found in the Qualification section under each qualification in the resources section.
Under the General Data Protection Regulation all individuals are able to request copies of personal information held both manually and electronically.
NEBOSH will search our databases and provide all the information we hold on an individual. If you are a third party requesting information, NEBOSH will not conduct a search without a completed subject access request form, written authorisation and photocopied identification from the individual.
Each subject access request will be completed within 40 days of receipt.
For further information on how to submit your Subject Access Request see our Subject Access Request policy.
NEBOSH policy is consistent with the General Data Protection Regulation, under which awarding bodies are not legally obliged to provide access to assignments once submitted. Marked assignments contain no information or comments on where improvements might have been attained.
NEBOSH policy is consistent with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) , under which awarding bodies are not legally obliged to provide access to examination scripts.
The General Data Protection Regulation states that “personal data consisting of information recorded by learners during an academic, professional or other examination are exempt
‘Examination’ is defined under the Regulation as including “any process for determining the knowledge, intelligence, skill or ability of a learner by reference to his performance in any test, work or other activity”.
We cannot transfer your registration fee from one examination sitting to another for any reason.
If you are no longer able to attend your examination and the examination closing date has not passed, we will be able to refund the exam registration fee paid to NEBOSH and you will be de-registered from the examination.
If the examination closing date has passed you will be marked absent at the examination sitting and you will need to re-register for the next available examination sitting and full payment will be required.
NEBOSH does have a Refund Policy and Procedure and you maybe eligible for a refund of up to 70% of your examination fees if the reason you are unable to attend falls inline with the policy.
If you would like to discuss this matter further you can contact our Customer Service Team on +44 (0) 116 2634700 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Learners may apply for special consideration if they missed part of the examination due to unforeseen circumstances but not if they were absent from the whole examination. However, please note that any adjustment made for special consideration will always be minor in order to both safeguard the overall marking standard and not to unfairly disadvantage other learners. For this reason, NEBOSH recommends that learners absent for more than 25% of the time allowed should re-take the examination at a later date.
Learners may be eligible for special consideration because of:
- temporary personal illness or accident/ injury at the time of the assessment
- bereavement at the time of the assessment; or bereavement occurring before the time of the assessment, where an anniversary has been reached at the time of the assessment or there are ongoing implications such as inquests or court cases
- serious disturbance during the assessment
- alternative assessment arrangements that were agreed in advance of the assessment that proved inappropriate or inadequate.
All applications are considered on a case-by-case basis.
For more information please see the Policy and procedures for access arrangements, reasonable adjustments and special consideration.
You can apply for a refund of up to 70% of your examination registration fee (to cover the costs of administration), if your request falls inline with our Refund Policy and Procedure
Refund claims must be made within one calendar month following the date of the examination by completing the appropriate refund request form. The refund will then be processed within 30 working days of the request being received and the fee will be refunded to the original payment method.