The cost of replacing each unit certificate or qualification parchment can be found in the Learners Fees List

Payment may be made by cheque (made payable to NEBOSH), and debit/credit card. Card payments can also be made by phone by calling Customer Services on +44 (0)116 2634700.

In the event of a successful Enquiry About Result or appeal, corrected certification will be issued free of charge. However, the original certificate and/or parchment must be returned by the learner and NEBOSH will not issue replacements until the originals have been received.

Related questions

My certificate has been lost or stolen, can I get a replacement?

My certificate has been damaged, can I get a replacement?

How do i make a request for a replacement or amended unit Certificate or Qualification Parchment?