The NEBOSH HSE Award in Managing Risks and Risk Assessment at Work is a one-day, introductory level qualification jointly developed with the health and safety regulator for Great Britain, the Health and Safety Executive. It is structured around the Health and Safety Executive’s approach to controlling the risks caused by workplace hazards.
Develop straightforward, practical health and safety risk management skills so you can go beyond risk assessment, to effectively control the health and safety risks caused by hazards in your workplace.
“Assessment is not the end product of risk management, and businesses should understand that the elimination or control of the assessed risks is the more important part of the overall process. This new qualification focuses on how organisations can effectively and sustainably manage risks in a proportionate manner.”
Ron Macbeth, Risk Assessment Technical Lead, Health and Safety Executive.
The NEBOSH HSE Award in Managing Risks and Risk Assessment at Work is ideal for anyone involved in managing workplace health and safety risks including those who undertake risk assessments. The content will be particularly useful to employers, managers, supervisors, union representatives, SHE champions and health and safety representatives.
This qualification will help you to:
- Identify hazards and be aware of some of the resources that can help
- Assess risks in low to medium risk premises using simple HSE tools
- Evaluate risks in a proportionate and sensible manner
- Identify suitable control measures
The NEBOSH HSE Award in Managing Risks and Risk Assessment at Work will help you to:
- Create a safe and healthy work environment
- Have confidence as your employee will be trained in HSE’s current approach to health and safety risk management
- Ensure your organisation has valuable in-house risk management expertise
- Upskill your teams so they can carry out risk assessments in the right way and to the right standard
Employers looking for more information on how NEBOSH qualifications can benefit your organisation, can find out more on our Guidance for Employers page.
NEBOSH HSE Award in Managing Risk and Risk Assessment at Work
This qualification will help you to:
- Develop straightforward practical skills to manage workplace risks; something all employers need
- Build confidence in your risk assessment capabilities
- Contribute to the creation of a safer and healthier workplace as soon as you return to work.
Length of the course
This one-day qualification has a minimum of six hours study with a recommendation of one hour for the assessment, which means it can be completed in just one day.
There are no entry requirements for this qualification.
It is important that learners have a suitable standard of English language in order to understand and articulate the concepts contained in the syllabus. NEBOSH recommends that learners undertaking this qualification should reach a minimum standard of English equivalent to an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score of 5.0 or higher in IELTS tests.
Read more about language requirements for NEBOSH qualifications.
Choose a Learning Partner
Every learner must register with a NEBOSH accredited Learning Partner and undertake the relevant learning before taking an assessment and gaining a qualification. It is not possible to self-study for a NEBOSH qualification.
Our global network of Learning Partners provide excellent learning and support and will help you prepare for your assessments. You can search for Learning Partners in our Where to Study section, and can filter the results by multiple factors, such as location and mode of study.
You should ensure that the Learning Partner you choose offers the qualification in the way you want to study. We recommend that you explore your options before selecting a Learning Partner as it is an important personal choice.
The factors you may wish to consider include:
- Mode of Study – Options available include face to face, distance learning, in-company training and eLearning. Has one method of learning been more effective for you in the past?
- Course Structure – If you opt for classroom training, would you prefer day or evening classes, block release or a modular course?
- Location – Being able to study and sit your examinations locally may be an important consideration for you. NEBOSH examinations are taken in over 130 countries.
- On-going support – Will the support provided during your qualification and in the run up to your assessments match your expectations?
Each Learning Partner sets their own fees to reflect the service offered. We recommend you contact a number of Learning Partners to establish what their fees are and what is included in the fee. Costs can vary depending on the mode of study, the level of support given, and the inclusion of examination registration fees, for example.
Read more about our Learning Partner Programme and how to choose the right Learning Partner for you: Choosing a NEBOSH Learning Partner.
A practical assessment is completed at the end of this one-day qualification. You will be asked to watch a video of a real workplace and complete a risk assessment to identify how you would manage and prioritise the risks present.
All assessments are held on a date chosen by your Learning Partner. You should contact them for more information.
You will receive your results within 24 working days of sitting the assessments. Once you have achieved a pass a qualification parchment will be issued. This is normally within 40 working days of the confirmation of the successful unit.
If this is your first NEBOSH Award-level qualification, you may be interested in taking other NEBOSH qualifications, such as the NEBOSH Health and Safety at Work Qualification or progress on to the NEBOSH General Certificate in Occupational Health.
Below you will find guidance and useful information for the NEBOSH HSE Award in Managing Risks and Risk Assessment at Work.
If you would like any further information please do not hesitate to contact our Customer Experience Team via email email@example.com or +44 (0)116 2634700.